By now we all know that social media offers fantastic tools to establish your brand and grow your business. But which social media platforms should your company have a presence on? One, two, all of them?
We are here to tell you one thing for sure – if your business isn’t on TikTok, you are missing out.
Marketing needs to have a solid strategy in place to be successful. So before you jump in, we put together this quick guide to using TikTok for your business and brand in 2021 and beyond.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media video-sharing app that allows users to create and distribute 15-second videos on (nearly) any topic.
Part of TikTok’s mission statement is to “inspire creativity and bring joy.” With a wide selection of sounds and song snippets, along with the option to add filters and other special effects, we say TikTok definitely ignites the imagination!
TikTok for Business was created to help businesses of any size tap into resources to help them build brand awareness and drive sales.
Whether or not stats are your thing, TikTok has had some pretty incredible growth over the last few years that can’t be ignored.
- Downloaded over 2 billion times
- There are currently around 100 million monthly and 50 million daily active users in the United States (We bet a few of your potential new customers are included in those users :))
- A survey done by Morning Consults found that 89% of Americans recognize the TiTtok brand
- TikTok’s parent company Bytedance claims that global monthly users have grown 1,157.76% since January 2018, with 54.7 million users.
- In addition, TikTok has gone from 11.2 to over 100 million US users in the same time (that’s a 787.86% increase!)
How TikTok can benefit your business
When it comes to getting your business on this app, the benefits are (almost) endless. TikTok provides a massive opportunity for small businesses and global companies alike to build their brand, engage new audiences, and create additional avenues to generate revenue. It’s a literal goldmine of engagement for your business.
Does your company have a B2C audience? TikTok gives you the opportunity to create:
- In-feed video ads (like regular videos but sponsored)
- Brand Takeover ads
- TopView ads
- Branded Hashtag ads
- Branded Effects ads
We can’t forget about you B2B owners! A study done by LinkedIn shows that emotions play a significant role in growing your B2B business. TikTok allows B2B companies to create emotionally charged content that resonates well with its potential customers. It’s a win-win!
At the risk of sounding like we are repeating ourselves, TikTok is significantly different from other social networks because of its hugely loyal and active base. On average, TikTok users spend around 68 minutes a day and open the app around eight times during a 24 hour period. No matter what kind of company you have, this is a marketing opportunity you can’t afford to miss.
Tips to make TikTok work for your business
We have told you the many reasons why you need Tiktok to grow your business. Let’s dive into what you need to know to use TikTok to your advantage.
Define Marketing Goals
With any good marketing strategy comes the goals that get you there. Your first step in a TikTok business marketing strategy is to set your goals with this platform. Keep these two things in mind when developing your plans:
- Everything you post should have a purpose and be designed to offer your audience value (whether it’s through entertainment or information and advice)
- Your content should feel authentic to the overall voice and tone of your brand, while also feeling at home on TikTok’s platform.
Something to keep in mind: Many businesses use TikTok to build brand awareness and trust.
Creating your TikTok for Business Profile
Setting up your business profile on Tiktok is simple and FREE!
- Download the app to a mobile device or get started by visiting the Tiktok for Business webpage.
- Login with an email and create a password. (make sure you are comfortable sharing with your team/social media person)
- After creating your login, you’ll be redirected to the feed. Tap the person icon labeled “me” (lower right corner of the screen) to go to your profile.
- Click “edit profile” to update your business’s profile picture and bio. (Be sure to link your Instagram and YouTube accounts.)
- Hit save
After setting up your profile, we recommend going through the feed and engaging with brands or individuals within your industry, niche, and network. Doing this will also help the algorithm ensure your content will get in front of the right users to build brand awareness.
Be sure to start following other notable brands and social media influencers as per suggestions of TiikTok’s algorithm.
Tip: Brand consistency is KEY when putting together any social media profile. Your profile photo should be harmonious with other social media platforms, and your bio should match your brand standards.
Choosing Content Categories
With TikTok, there are countless options for the type of videos you create to market your business. Here are just a few content categories. (Keep in mind, not everything works for every business. The solution is to find what works for YOUR business when developing strategy)
Hashtag challenges are an excellent opportunity for brands to connect with existing and potential new customers.
There are two types of hashtag challenges you need to know about:
- Sponsored challenge- a branded hashtag developed by a business to get people to interact with their brand in some way
- Organic challenge-participating in hashtags that are trending or popular, but not branded
Publishing how-to videos and hacks that relate to your product/ service is another great way to provide engaging content for users. Some examples are:
- A make-up company creates a video on perfecting a smokey eye or recreating a celeb-inspired look.
- A digital marketing agency shares social media tips for small businesses.
- A local cleaning company highlights cleaning hacks for busy moms.
- The professional organizer gives tips on how to organize the home office.
Tutorials are a great way to demonstrate your expertise in your industry, while bringing value to your followers and building trust.
Key Tip: Keep your tutorials light and on the shorter side (to fit in with TikTok’s vibe and types of content) Remember, they don’t have to be perfect and don’t be afraid to add in some humor.
Testimonials and case studies
Testimonials and case studies are the best forms of social proof! People want to see what others think about your business.
From video comments of a satisfied customer to showing before and after pictures, you grow loyal brand ambassadors by showcasing user-generated content.
Take followers behind-the-scenes
Transparency and authenticity are HUGE when it comes to building brand loyalty. By giving followers a behind-the-scenes look into your business, you create an emotional connection.
Have a new product launching soon? Highlight a sneak peek to build momentum to get people excited about your new offerings and share your videos!
Best practices when using TikTok for Business
There are a few best practices we highly suggest to any business when using TikTok.
- Cross-posting and repurposing- When creating videos, be sure to share them on all your Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Snapchat.
- Short and sweet- Tik Tok videos can last up to one minute. However, the closer you stick to the 15-second sweet spot, the more engagement you will likely get. Remember, people’s attention spans on digital devices are notoriously short – especially on a platform defined by an endless scroll of content.
- Always add a solid call to action (CTA) – What do you want viewers/ prospects to do next? Subscribe to your Youtube channel? Visit your website?
- TikTok Influencer Marketing- Look for someone with an engaged following with values that align with your brand and see about partnering with them to create content to grow your brand.
- If the narrative is an essential part of the content, i.e., how-to or hacks, consider adding captions into your video.
TikTok is showing no signs of slowing down! Therefore, it should be an easy choice for your business’s marketing strategy for 2022 and beyond.As with all social media platforms, TikTok is constantly evolving and so are its algorithms. Luckly, you have digital marketing experts at your disposal that you can partner with to continue learning how to grow your business with strong, engaging and effective content on social media platforms like TikTok. Looking to create a powerful Tiktok for Business marketing strategy with captivating, on-brand content? Firon Marketing is here to help.